For decades, there has been one aspect of home ownership that is a surefire sign that you’ve made it. An in-ground pool. You might be dreaming of just that, sparkling blue water, friends and family gathered together, and beautiful custom pool mats showing off your personal touch.
But having a pool built is a big investment, and if you’re going to spend the money, you want it done right. Below, you’ll find a few tips on things to check with when you’re selecting a builder.
- References are a big deal and a source of useful information. Most people, whether the had a good or bad experience, are more than happy to act as references. If the builder has a 2:1 good review to bad review ratio, that’s a good sign.
- Check social media sites such as Yelp for reviews. No matter how good the company, there will always be those who complain. But look for trends with reviews of people saying the same things, and also look to see if the company legitimately tried to make things right.
- Make sure the products the builder uses are of good quality and also have good reviews.
- Does the builder have a workmanship warranty, covering things like pool movement, structural problems with the patio, or plumbing issues? How long is the warranty good for?
- Remember that a shiny brochure or slick website is not necessarily an indicator of quality, just like a small and unassuming company can get amazing work done..